Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barley Ground Beef Stew

Go down

Barley Ground Beef Stew Empty Barley Ground Beef Stew

Post by Raeja Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:37 am

Barley Ground Beef Stew

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound ground beef (I used 80/20)

3 TBS Olive Oil (can use more if needed)

1 large onion, chopped

2 medium carrots peeled and cut into slices halved (I used 20 Bolthouse Baby Carrots so did not need to cut in half for most of them)

2 stalks celery chopped

1/2 tsp black pepper (I love pepper and used 2 TBS)

4-5 finely minced cloves of garlic

1 small can of Tomato Paste (original recipe only called for 1/4 cup but I was not going to waste the rest)

1 box Beef Broth (4 cups)

1 Quart whole tomatoes (4 cups)

1 cup pearl barley well rinsed (not instant)

1 green pepper, finely chopped

2 tsp Italian Seasoning

fresh chopped parsley (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Add ground beef and olive oil to a large heavy bottom pot.  Over medium heat, cook the beef, stirring and breaking it into chunks until no longer pink.

Next add in the onions, carrots, celery, salt, and ground black pepper.  Stir to combine and cook 3- minutes.

Finally add in the garlic & Italian Seasoning.  Stir and cook for 2 more minutes

Add the tomato paste.  Stir to mix throughout the vegetables.

Add the vegetable broth.  Bring to boil, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.

Add in the diced tomatoes with the juice and the barley.  Stir well to combine.  Place a lid on pot and continue to cook 30-45 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.  You can stir in fresh parsley just before serving, optional

Last edited by Raeja on Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Back to top Go down