Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew

Go down

Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew  Empty Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew

Post by Raeja Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:21 am

Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Kosher Salt (I rarely use salt but Regular or Plain salt or even Sea Salt will work ~ Don saltsCelery  before tasting anything)

Ground Black Pepper

2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1" peices (I used a 2-1/2 pound bag of frozen skinless chicken breasts~if you use leftovers it will definately change the flavor of this one)

1/4 cup plus 1 or more TBS Olive Oil (other oils will work but I prefer olive oil when I can afford it)

2 Carrots, sliced into 1/4" pieces (about 20 Bolthouse Baby Carrots)

2 Celery Stalks sliced into 1/4" slices

1 Large Onion chopped

1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced

1-3/4 cups instant pearled barley (3/4 cup - 1 cup regular barley~ lesson learned)

2 - 32 oz boxes Chicken broth (you can use stock.  Also if you want it more of a stew consistency only add 1 or 1-1/2 boxes, depending on your preference)

4 TBS dry dill weed

Juice from 1 fresh squeezed lemon (2 if you love a lemony flavor)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Directions:

Combine the flour with 1 tsp of salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in the flour and shake off the excess

In a heavy bottom stew pot heat 2 TBS oil.  Add the chicken (cook in portions if you need to) and cook over medium-high  until browned but not over cooked.  Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.  If you cook in portions, add 2 TBS oil to each batch.  Scrape up the brownings from pan and add to the chicken.  You can also add the juice from the thawed chicken package to help loosen up the brownings (more added flavor)

Add 1 TBS oil to pan.  Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.   Cook until softened.  Add the barley.  Cook, stirring often, until the barley gets a browned/toasted coloring.  Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring constantly so it does not burn on the bottom of the pan.  Cook until barley is almost tender.

Once barley is almost tender, add the chicken and lemon juice and dill.  Cover and simmer until it is cooked through and the stew has thickened.

Added Notes:

The amount of barley you use will be the factor as to if you want a soup or a stew

You can top with shredded cheese, tarrogon, or even Parmesan or Ramono cheese.

Last edited by Raeja on Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:16 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : adjusting recipe ~ DBR)

Back to top Go down

Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew  Empty Re: Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew

Post by Raeja Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:23 am

Don fell in love with this one.  I loved it, maybe next time I will try 2 fresh squeezed lemons

Back to top Go down

Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew  Empty Re: Lemon Dill Chicken Barley Soup or Stew

Post by Raeja Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:57 am

I did not have 2 lemons but did add about 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 fresh squeezed lemon  I used regular barley and lesson learned, need to cut down on that amount.  Had to add another 32 oz box of chicken broth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down