Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pork Vegetable Barley Soup

Go down

Pork Vegetable Barley Soup Empty Pork Vegetable Barley Soup

Post by Raeja Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:04 am

PORK VEGETABLE BARLEY SOUP

Ingredients:

2 TBS Olive Oil (any oil you choose will work, I just am addicted to Olive Oil)
2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 Medium Onion (about 1-1/2 cups) chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 TBS ground Thyme 
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
1-1/2 pouds diced pork (I got 4 cups diced from a 1.6# thick boneless pork chop)
4 cups or 1- 32oz box of Chicken broth
1 quart whole tomatoes (a 32 oz can is about the same, I just happen to have some canned up)
2/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
salt and pepper to taste

Added Note:

You can use leftover pork, just add it to the second step.  Won't be quite as good or high in calories because you won't have the brownings or fat from it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Directions:

If using fresh pork (not leftover pork), in stew pot add 2 TBS olive oil and brown cut up pork and set aside.

Heat 2 TBS Olive oil in stew pot over meadium heat.  Add garlic and onion and saute for about 3 minutes, until transparent.  Add carrots and celery and continue to saute for another 6-8 minutes.  Stir in Tume and Italian seasoning and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Add pork, bay leaves, broth, tomatoes, barley, and salt & pepper.  Bring to boil.  Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes and barley is tender, stirring frequently to prevent it from scorching on bottom of pot.

Back to top Go down