Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raeja's Cheesy Potato Soup

Go down

Raeja's Cheesy Potato Soup Empty Raeja's Cheesy Potato Soup

Post by Raeja Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:26 am

I made my version of Cheesy Potato Soup.  Blended some up for Don.  I also had some (not blended) and it is delicious!  Because of the ingredients, I can promise this is a high calorie food.  If you need to watch fat content, this is not the recipe for you

Ingredients:

10 Slices of cooked bacon chopped up

4 Tablespoons bacon grease (you can use butter or margerine, if you prefer)

1 large onion chopped or diced

3-4 large cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped

1/4 cup cornstarch (you can use 1/4 cup flour if you prefer)

2 cups whole milk (added after corn starch or flour)

2+ cups more whole milk (I actually used 4 more cups of milk for the consistancy I needed to liquify it for Don to be able to eat)

2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled and diced (I used red ones this time around)

1 - 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese (any flavor cheese should work)

1\2 cup Greek Yogurt or sour cream (I prefer Greek Yogurt)

salt and pepper to taste (I omitted salt)

optional toppings:  thin slice green onions, fresh chives, extra shredded cheese, extra bacon, croutons

Directions:

Cook bacon, chop and set aside (save bacon grease if using  You may need to pull some from your reserve~I save all my bacon grease in a canning jar with a lid and keep in the freezer to use as needed)

In a large pot, add bacon grease or butter and heat it up.  Add garlic and saute for about a minute or two.  Stir in the cornstarch, stirring occassionally over medium heat.  Add 2 cups of milk and stir well.  Then add 2 more cups of milk and the bacon.  Stir constantly as not to burn bottom of pan or do as I do and make my makeshift double boiler using a small cooling rack in bottom pan of water to hold pot above the heat.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer.

Once potatoes are soft, stir in cheese and yogurt (or sour cream) and season with salt and pepper if desired.

I am old school and actually save all of my bacon grease in a canning jar and use it instead of lard. grease, or oil many times.  I use to keep it in the fridge when all the kids were home.  Now that I am an "empty nester", I don't cook in big batches or make alot of the things I use to, so now I keep my bacon grease jar in the freezer.  

***Mental note, DO NOT pour HOT grease into jar if jar is not fully thawed and warmed up.  I cooked up 3 lbs of bacon.  When I picked up the jar, it had a nice even crack all the way around and broke at the top of where the grease was.  I had to start a new jar for grease.

Back to top Go down

Raeja's Cheesy Potato Soup Empty Re: Raeja's Cheesy Potato Soup

Post by Raeja Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:16 am

This did not have a "cheesy flavor" but still good.  Shredded cheese does not do it justice.  I think good ol' velveeta cheese or generic would work much better for the cheesy flavor

Back to top Go down