Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe)

Go down

Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe) Empty Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe)

Post by Raeja Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm

Today I decided to try this recipe.
This one is not bad, but not something we want very often

Old School Hamburger Stew

Ingredients:

1 mediom onion, finely chopped

2 TBS Olive Oil

1 lb lean ground beef (I used 80/20 and drained the grease off in a collandar before finishing recipe)

1 TBS cumin (if you don't want a strong cumin flavor, use 1 tsp~this can also be an optional ingredient)

4-6 cups Beef broth (I used 4 because I was not sure how much I would have to add to puree it for Don.  More is                                    definately  needed if you are not going to puree it in a blender~because you have to add until                                  you get the right consistency)

1/4 cup ketchup (I think you can omit this if you want, I will next time I make it)

1  - 8oz can tomato sauce

1 fresh chopped tomato (I used 2 large Romas)

1 TBS steak sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1-1/2 TBS white vinegar (I used red wine vinegar to finish off the bottle I had)

1-1/2 tsp salt (I ommitted it because I hate using salt with all the salt already in the other stuff and Don salt's                                without tasting)

1 tsp black pepper

3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped fine (I only use baby carrots because I like the taste better I would guess                                                                      about 20-30 baby carrots depending on the size)

4 small potatoes, chopped fine (you can peel them if you like but there are more nutrients in the skin than the actual                                      potato)

3 stalks celery chopped fine (I was getting to the middle of my stalk so used the hearts, a stalk, and allso chopped                                              up the leaves for more flavor)

Directions:

In a large pot, saute the minced/fine chopped onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.

Add ground beef and cook until browned.

Drain off excess fat.  Add the cumin and brown for 3 more minutes.

Add the beef broth and all the remaining ingredients.  Simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Last edited by Raeja on Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe) Empty Re: Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe)

Post by Raeja Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:32 pm

Instead of ketchup, vinegar, & tomato sauce, I think you could substitute 2 cans of Manwich or sloppy joe.

To thin this down, I used tomato sauce to make in blender

Last edited by Raeja on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe) Empty Re: Old School Hamburger Stew (redesigned from a 1950's recipe)

Post by Raeja Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:11 am

I froze what was left and used it to make chili for Don.  If he only knew what all was in it, I think he would flip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down