Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Egg Dyes

Go down

Natural Egg Dyes Empty Natural Egg Dyes

Post by Raeja Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:41 am

To make a dye bath, combine 1-1/2 cups of warer and 2 Tablespoons of powedered spice or a cup of chopped fruit or vegetable matter.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Strain the dye into a jar or bowl and add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.  Add hard-cooked eggs and let sit for up to two hours~the longer the eggs sit in the dye bath, the more vibrant the results will be.

Here are some natural dye materials and the colors they produce:

Yellow onion skins = Orange
Turmeric = Yellow
Red Cabbage = Turquoise
Blueberries = Blue
Spinach = Light Green
Beet = Light Pink

Whatever colors you choose, always work with chilled hard cooked eggs.  Never leave eggs out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours and consume them within 1 week of cooking.

I know everyone "thinks" they know how to cook hard boiled eggs, however, the best way to cook them is easier than you think.  I actually learned this from a High School girl who worked at the Bible Camp that I was an assistant manager at.

Put your eggs in a single layer at the bottom of a large saucepan. 
Fill pot with cold water making sure the water is at least 1 inch above the eggs.

Bring the pot to a full boil.

Turh off the heat and let the eggs stand for 15 minutes (if it goes longer not a big deal but you don't want the eggs sit any less because you want to be sure they are fully cooked)

Drain the hot water and refill pan with cold water.  I usually also add ice to the water after the second refill of cold water.  Be careful not to crack the eggs when you are draining the water.

Once cooled, remove the eggs from the pot and store in refigerator until you are ready to use them.

Back to top Go down