Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first steps and beginnings are the hardest

Go down

The first steps and beginnings are the hardest Empty The first steps and beginnings are the hardest

Post by Raeja Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:00 am

When Don had his lower lip and 3 lymph nodes removed due to Squamous Cell Carcinoma (a form of Cancer), his mouth had to be rebuilt and currently swollen and a very tiny opening.  He can swallow just fine, just not get a normal spoon in his mouth.  His surgery is not common.  Hospitals don't deal with people who have had mouth surgery very often.  Most of the staff at the hospital were younger than my kids.  They gave him a scrawny thin bendy straw and an 8 oz paper cup.  It would help if they were more attentive to his needs.  He was on a clear liquid diet.  Somehow I guess that has lost its meaning as well.  They gave him cream of wheat.  Not only does he hate it but also it does not go through that scrawny bendy straw.  I asked a number of nurses for a small spoon or a baby spoon.  Of course they did not have one and I don't think they bothered to look.  Finally on male nurse listened to me.  Someone from the Swallow Department came up thinking he could not swallow.  When I explained my frustration and told her all I wanted was a smaller spoon.  She came up with a large syringe and a 250ml wash bottle.  I can't tell you how she got ahold of the wash bottle.  She also did not find a small spoon.  I suggested Pediatrics.  Now it was GAME ON!  She could not believe that she could not find a small spoon either.  After all it is a hospital.  She made 12 phone calls and finally a person in Pediatric Occupational Therapy said she did not have one but would see what she could do.  A co-worker managed to find one, so Katie had to meet her in a hallway that had no traffic to make the "deal".  Katie said it felt like she was doing a drug deal, but we got our spoon and No feeding tube for Don.

Here is what supplies I now have and hope this gets you going on your embarkment of this frustrating diet:

** Large Syringes (mine look like the ones use for injecting fluids into your Thanksgiving Turkey)
** Flexible baby spoon (from "The Drug Deal" The first steps and beginnings are the hardest 1f605 )
**toddler fork & spoon,
 ** wash bottles for drinking  (I have a 250ml ~
  2 more will arrive on Monday and 8-500ml will arrive on Tuesday
from Walmart.com)
** Blender (or Food Processor and/or a Drink Blender)
I am a manager at at McDonald's so here is more stuff that may work:
 ** McFlurry spoons
** I also asked a GM at my "Home McD Store"
for a handful of straws.

My daughter suggested:
** BoBa Straws
and those will be arriving today.  They have a .4 inch diameter.
You can find these on Amazon

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!  Only post recipes you have tried and actually like.  I want this section to be as helpful as possible for those who are struggling as I have on the new life changing adventure.  Hopefully this will only be temporary for Don.

Back to top Go down

The first steps and beginnings are the hardest Empty Re: The first steps and beginnings are the hardest

Post by Raeja Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:26 am

I forgot to add a Food Scale helps when measuring some stuff.  I have a nice inexpensive digital that I bought at Walmart.com a few months ago, for making stuff to can.

Back to top Go down

The first steps and beginnings are the hardest Empty Re: The first steps and beginnings are the hardest

Post by Raeja Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:12 am

Small win for Me today!!!  I pureed the Dinty Moore Beef Stew.  Don said he would eat some but not all.  He came back in the house from the porch with an empty glass.  He was surprised he ate all of it.  Now I am hoping he is more receptive to pureed foods.

Another positive thing I see about this is that Don only has 9 teeth on top.  He had his bottom ones pulled almost 3 years ago but it hurt so bad he is afraid to go back because the top 9 will be worse.  They won't fit him with dentures until the tops are pulled.  I can promise this never stopped him from gnawing on steak fresh off the grill.  The first steps and beginnings are the hardest 1f60e

Back to top Go down

Post by Raeja Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:40 am

***Mental Note:  Pureed, liquified foods DO NOT taste the same as the regular recipe.  It not only changes the texture but the flavor because of the additional liquid added.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raeja Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:41 pm

Just want you all to know alot is going on around here.  I have a ton more receipes that I have created, just have not had time to post.  I will try to post on Tues/Weds nights.  Also off work on Dec 24,25, and 26 (that never happens) and will try to catch up on posting then as well.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my newest section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raeja Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:32 am

Applesauce and Yougurt are considered for a "Full Liquid" Diet.  The hospital expected Don to use a teaspoon but his mouth would not open wide enough.  Then they gave him a skinny "bendy" straw.  Definately a no go.  Katie from the swallow department brought a huge syreinge which was ok, but when we got home, My daughter, Niki, Suggested Boba Straws.  Talk about a miracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Raeja Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 am

Don can eat what he wants now however, even with his mouth healed (and having only 7 or 9 teeth on top), he can't eat meat that is not tender.  Been using both of my crock pots (one is oval which is wider and shallower and the other is the old 3 quart that is taller than wide). With a slow cooker, I love the make it and leave it theory on days I have to work and get that fall apart meat.  He still can't eat anything on a bun but he is also eating less Dinty Moore Beef Stew, so I guess I am doing something right.  He still doesn't eat much but he can sure drink alot of beer *LOL*

So check out the Crock Pot Cooking Section for some delicious meal ideas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down