Universal Friends & Freebies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ham Bone Soup

Go down

Ham Bone Soup Empty Ham Bone Soup

Post by Raeja Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:04 am

HAM BONE SOUP
For the Broth:
1 Leftover Ham bone
Enough water to fully cover the bone in a soup pot
20 peppercorns
3 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic minced or chopped fine

For the Soup:
5-6 slices bacon
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots peeled and diced (I used 20 baby carrots)
1 large russet potato, diced (peel if you prefer)
1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 TBS dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 cup leftover diced ham and ham from bone (you can up it to 2 cups ham)
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes (optional)  I used leftover Idahoan 4 cheese instant mashed potatoes to thicken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Place ham bone, water, peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic in a heavy stock pot.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat.  Remove to plate.  Remove some of the grease from the pot, reserving jus a little in the pan.

Add the chopped onion, cleery, carrots, and potato to the pan and saute for a few minutes.

Remove the hame bone from the pot and remove any meat from it.  Add all ingredients into the pot. Add more water or Ham Stock, if needed.  Taste and add more spices/seasoning, if needed.  Cook until the potatoes are tender

Last edited by Raeja on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Ham Bone Soup Empty Re: Ham Bone Soup

Post by Raeja Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:07 am

Don said it was "OK" but I don't think he was at the "Fan" status.  I also liked it and would make this again only it was lacking in something so I am wondering about using a fresh ham bone (because I slow cook my hams for a long time) and maybe spruce it up with some kind of a summer squash, seasonings, etc.

Back to top Go down